Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 190C / 350F. Line a 12 paper liners cup in a muffin pan.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar and eggs until smooth. Whisk in softened butter, orange juice and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the dry ingredient flour, baking soda, spices and salt.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture until only a few streaks of dry ingredients remain. Stir in shredded carrots.
- Scoop and divide evenly into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 tbsp softened butter
4-oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 – 3 cups confectioner sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
orange and green food coloring
Mix together butter and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Beat in milk and vanilla extract,
then gradually blend in the confectioner sugar until frosting is thick and creamy.
Design frosting evenly on top of cupcakes, setting aside no more than 1/3 cup to make carrots for decoration.
For the carrots, divide the reserved frosting into two bowls. Dye one orange (yellow and red) and one green (green and yellow). Scrape into two piping bags and use a plain tip for the body of the carrot and a slanting tip for the carrot top.
Pipe three or four small lines of green for the carrot tops, and pipe a carrot-shaped orange line leading down (make a large ball at one end and gradually release pressure as you pull the bag) from the greens to finish the carrots. Practice on a plate until you get the shape down consistently before topping cupcakes.
Happy baking experience !